Thursday, March 1, 2007

Reflective Journal

Chapter One (3/1/07)

In Chapter one I started off really confused because I didn't exactly know what going on with all of the characters. The main reason for that is because all of the names are so similar, I kind of felt overwhelmed. But after the first couple of pages I began to become o.k. with it. I really didn't understand why Jose Arcadio Buendia would fall for far brained schemes that were very far fetched, such as using the magnets to search for gold. But reading on I came to find that he was a man that lived in a fantasy world, where anything that is magical and wondrous could be reality. I also wondered why Melquiades was aging so fast. The answer is never really given to this question, I just figured it might be a combination of all the illnesses he suffered from throughout his life. I also wondered why Jose Arcadio Buendia was so anxious to find some kind of land that would connect to a larger part of the land. I later came to find that it was he didn't want to have the feeling of isolation, he wanted to be able to come into contact with other cities, town, civilizations, etc. My overall reaction to chapter one was confusion, very great confusion! But, then, after reading on I was able to get some clarification on some things.
(3/13/07)
Okay, even though things have been getting a little better with reading there are still a couple things I am confused about. It's chapter nine and still don't know why the members of the family are always inbreading, is it because they only spend so much time with members of their own family? I'm guessing that's the reason why, for the fact they really don't mingle with other people of the town.
(3/15/07)
Having finished with chapter 1-10 so far, I think that book has answered a good amount of my questions. But there are still things I'm not too sure about. Such as the issue of is time really repeating itself and something that I really am curious about is why the family is always going through so many bad times. I think maybe later on in the book, the author will reveal the reason for this, maybe their ancestors did something really wrong. I guess the only way to find out is to read on. Dum...dum... DUM!!!!!!

2 comments:

Genesis Is The Best- said...

This journal is a very personable one and shows that Amanda might be trying to find the underlying meaning of why things are the way they are. I think that in the long run that will help her get more out of the book. Keep up the good work and I agree with your insight.

mbrown8625 said...

I agree with Ms. Genesis. I applaude your use of the reflective journal as it was meant to be used exactly as you use it. I appreciate your thoroughness and thoughtfulness. you have ideas that would be great for a paper.